Whitford Fine Art
6 Duke Street St James's
London SW1Y 6BN
020 7930 9332
All text and images
© Whitford Fine Art 2017
Gerald Laing attended the royal Military Academy, Sandhurst 1953-5, then after a short Army career attended St Martin's School of Art between 1960-4. He lived in New York for five years, being artist in residence at Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies, Colorado.
Initially Laing was a Pop Artist and by the late 60s was known as a sculptor of minimal forms.
In 1969, during a period of disillusionment, he acquired Kinkell Castle, on the Black Isle, in Scotland and restored it, in 1977 setting up a substantial bronze foundry there to handle his own work. By this time Laing had rejected abstraction for figuration, returning to the mainstream, but continually experimenting within in.
Laing's teaching posts include visiting professor at University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 1976-7, professor of sculpture at Columbia University, New York 1986-7. In 1978-80 he was on the art committee of the Scottish Arts Council, in 1987 being appointed commissioner on the Royal Commission for Fine Art for Scotland.
Laing has been shown internationally, having one man show at the Laing Art Gallery in 1963; the ICA in 1964; then the first of a string of exhibitions at the Richard Feigen Gallery in New York and Chicago. In 1971 the Cincinnati Center for Contemporary Art held a retrospective exhibition, others following at Herbert Art Gallery in 1971; Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh in 1993.
In 1995 Laing was commissioned to make eight dragons for Bank tube station, and in 1996 four bronze rugby players for Twickenham Stadium. The Tate Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, the Victoria & Albert Museum, Scottish Art Gallery and many other public collections in Britain and abroad hold Laing's work. In 1996 Whitford Fine Art hold an exhibition of 17 silkscreen prints made in 1968 in New York.